The original prototype named TS 20 was built in Coventry by Standard Triumph. It was based on the chassis of the “Flying Standard-Nine” from the prewar time, and was exhibited at the Earls Court Motor Show in London in October 1952. The prototype reflected the desire of Chairman Sir John Black to produce once again a Triumph sports car. He had enviously followed the competitions successful sales of the MG TD and Jaguars XK-120 models.
Walter Belgrove had designed the bodywork. The TR1 was a two seater, had a flat Windscreen, no boot lid and upon which the spare wheel was mounted. The 4 cylinder engine with a bore and stroke of 83x92mm produced 1991cc. Twin SU carburetors produced 75 PS at 4500 RPM. The vehicle had a worm drive steering and the gearbox had 4 forward gears and a reverse gear. The estimated sales price was £555.
There was only one example built.